NL EN
BOOK DIRECTLY
Book directly for best price
Book directly for best price

Castle belonging to Elsloo

The village of Elsloo already owned the castle since the 13th century. In 1579 it was set on fire by the Spanish during their siege on Maastricht, after which it was flooded by water from the river Maas and turned to ruins.

Castle belonging to Elsloo

The village of Elsloo already owned the castle since the 13th century. In 1579 it was set on fire by the Spanish during their siege on Maastricht, after which it was flooded by water from the river Maas and turned to ruins.

Rebuilt in a safe location

The current castle was rebuilt along the Slakbeek, just a couple of hundred metres from its original location, and it initially consisted only of a mansion with some annexes. The watermill is the oldest part of this ‘new’ castle and dates from 1552. The characteristic tower was built in 1843.

Kasteel Elsloo

Canal drives back old houses

Until 1929 the Augustine church was the central point of the village of Elsloo. However, for the construction of the Juliana canal, 43 houses, one school and the town hall had to be relocated. The owners of these buildings were given land in another location in the village to rebuild their property. Since then, the characteristic church is located at the edge of the village.

Kasteel Elsloo
Waterval

Warm heart for the village of Elsloo

Dorine Verschuren, a descendant of the Jurgens family, left the castle to the municipality of Elsloo in 1959, including the park and 168 hectares of grounds. In doing so, she wanted to make sure this wonderful estate would remain in its original state.

Hotel – Restaurant

After a thorough renovation in the 1980s, the estate found its current purpose of hotel and restaurant. The Meijers family has owned the business since 1990.

Molen
Molen

Precious water springs

In the past, the water from the forest springs was used to drive the watermill and provide water for the brewery as well as for the people of Elsloo village. It was this precious source that made the area so important in those days.

Always water from 'de Fonteyn'

Next to the castle farm, in the Maasberg, the spring water flows day and night. In the past, this was obviously indispensible for the people from the village. The spring is most probably older than the castle itself, but is nowadays only popular with thirsty dogs

Nature's job

The water mill is an overshot mill. The water comes from the mill’s pond and is channelled through a trough onto the wheel. The turning wheel then moves the mill stones which grind the grain into flour.

Millers at work

The corn mill is still working today. Every first Saturday of the month, the public is welcome to come and watch the millers at work. From March to October, the millers Jacques Ritz and Jacques Ummels also open the mill on every third-Saturday of the month.

Bos

Lunch & Dinner

Let us surprise you with our natural and wholesome ingredients

> read more

Accommodation

Wake up surrounded by the forest. Enjoy the tranquillity of a rich history

> read more

Surroundings

Enjoy an oasis of calm, yet be close to the liveliness of the nearby city.

> read more

Accomodation

BOOK DIRECTLY

> click here

Lunch & Diner

BOOK DIRECTLY

click here

Our contact details

Maasberg 1, 6181 GV Elsloo
t +31 46 437 76 66
f +31 46 437 75 70
info@kasteelelsloo.nl